The year that was. 2017.
Thanks for the memories.
Amidst the excitement and chaos of Christmas, the latest data form Tourism Research Australia crossed our desks this week. It shows growth of around 15% across most of the key measures. We now have 5.1 million visitors staying 4.7 million nights and spending $942 million in Geelong and The Bellarine. You can see the full report here.
It’s good news and a reflection of the region’s growing reputation as a destination and the ongoing hard work and investment of our industry members and stakeholders. Thank you.
The positive numbers had us reflecting on our other highlights from 2017:
• Gold and Bronze (for Training and Visitor Services) at the Victorian Tourism Awards.
• Australia achieved marriage equality – good news for venues and services as well as our newly engaged Deputy, Brett!!
• We released our 2017-2021 Strategic Plan.
• Australia regained the Ashes.
• National recognition for IGNI as the best regional restaurant and Curlewis as the most innovative golf course
• Gary Ablett has come home. Go Cats!
• We now have a Melbourne ferry service daily thanks to Port Phillip Ferries.
• Our social media activity. 332 posts have reached 1,904,433 people for 107,249 engagements.
• We have Victoria’s biggest and longest waterslide at Adventure Park.
• Central Geelong is looking smashing with the revitalisation work.
This is our last This Week In Tourism for the 2017 as newsletters have a hiatus during the busy holiday season. We’ll be back at the end of January.
We’ve had a great year and we’re aiming for 2018 to be even better. We hope it is for you too.