The Victorian State Government has today launched the details of its $20 million Events Support Package that was announced as part of the $250 million Circuit Breaker Business Support Package to assist businesses through this latest lockdown period.
Relief for our battered events sector is something that VTIC has lobbied strongly for over many months now. This is a sector of our industry that has been largely overlooked in many of the previous support packages that have been announced.
Inclusion of the $20 million Victorian Events Support Package was a welcomed announcement on 30 May and it’s good to finally have the details of how this program will work to support those events, and related suppliers, affected by this latest lockdown.
While this current package has been designed to address immediate needs resulting from the circuit breaker lockdown period, there remain some longer-term issues resulting from the lack of support to the events and business events sectors during our rolling lockdowns in Victoria. VTIC continues to work closely with government to identify measures for addressing the extreme pressures on this critical part of our state’s visitor economy and what will be needed to rebuild confidence in the destination as the ‘Events Capital of Australia’.
The current $20 million package has four main components to assist various levels of the events industry that had their business disrupted as a consequence of the 14-day lockdown instituted from 28 May.
- The Sustainable Events Business Program provides payments of up to $250,000 to major event organisers, hosts and suppliers who have had the ongoing viability of their event or business significantly affected during the restrictions that began in late May.
– Successful applicants must have most of their operations in Victoria, have experienced a minimum 50 per cent decline in annual turnover in the three months prior to 27 May 2021 compared with the same period in 2019, and must have a payroll of more than $3 million in metropolitan Melbourne or $500,000 in regional Victoria.
- The Impacted Public Events Support Program will deliver grants of $25,000 to event organisers and $10,000 to suppliers of Tier 1 and Tier 2 events – events with crowds above 1,001 people – that have incurred costs as a direct result of the recent necessary public health restrictions.
- Victoria’s cinemas will benefit from the Independent Cinemas Support Program, which provides eligible independent operators who had to close due to recent restrictions with a payment of $12,000 per cinema venue.
- Producers of live performance events are eligible for grants of up to $7,000 under the Live Performance Support Program – Presenters.
– Suppliers to live performance events are also eligible for up to $500 per event, with a maximum of four events, under the Live Performance Support Program – Suppliers.
Applications for the Sustainable Events Business Program, the Independent Cinemas Support Program and the Live Performance Support Programs will open shortly.
Businesses eligible for the Impacted Public Events Support Program will be contacted directly and invited to apply.