GEELONG & THE BELLARINE WORKS TOWARDS BECOMING DESTINATION:ACCESSIBLE
In partnership with the Australian Federation of Disability Organisations (AFDO), TGGB is working towards making our region a more accessible destination and a more welcoming place for people with disabilities.
This new project has been made possible through the generous funding of Regional Development Victoria.
We want you to be a part of it!
Did you know…
- One in five Australians has a disability
- $8 billion per year is spent on Australian tourism by travellers with a disability
- The market for accessible tourism is much broader than people with a disability. Older people, parents with prams and overseas travellers can all benefit from improved information, more accessible buildings and a flexible approach to providing customer service
- We all have some experience of disability – whether it’s our self, a family member, friend, colleague, associate or a customer.
How the project works…
It’s simple, a representative from AFDO contacts you to discuss your current business operations, complete a disability-friendly check and makes recommendations on a range of practical, impactful changes you can make.
If your organisation meets the criteria AFDO field officers will provide the following services for FREE!
There are 4 basic elements over 3 meetings (1 Hour each)…
- A business analysis meeting is undertaken to understand the business and workplace
- An experiential meeting about disability and unconscious bias
- A disability check – walk around premises
- Meeting to outline the recommendations documents, includes practice resources to support your team
There will also be a series of free training sessions available to all TGGB members and their employees. For more information on each of these sessions and to book these training sessions click here.
What your organisation will get out of it…
Your tourism business will be provided with the knowledge, education and recommendations to start making your business more accessible to everyone.
With your help to make the region more welcoming for people with disabilities, we’ll get to work promoting it as an accessible destination – a place where people with disabilities can enjoy a holiday and have options for eating, drinking and sleeping.
How to get involved…
Want to be involved in the vision to make Greater Geelong and The Bellarine Destination:Accessible?
The team AFDO are friendly and want to hear from you, click here to get in touch.
This project has been made possible through the generous funding of the State Government of Victoria.
Travelling with disability can sometimes be very difficult, it is possible and achievable with the right amount of planning and preparation. Each year a staggering $8 billion is spent on Australian tourism by travellers with a disability and we want to be part of it....
Anyone optimistic enough to start a small business is likely to focus on achieving their goals, driving a successful operation and won’t spend too much time thinking about the things that could go wrong (like finding yourself inside the jaws of a shark). But someone...