On Tuesday night the City of Greater Geelong council agreed to a series of immediate measures to help local business and the community cope with the impacts of the Coronavirus pandemic. The range of initiatives met with unanimous support, and include:
- Refund of Alfresco Dining and A Frame permit fees for 12 months
- Refund of food and health premises registration for 3 months
- Free casual on and off street parking in the CBD until 30 June
- Development of a financial hardship policy including rates
- Waiver of rent/fees for community and sporting groups
- 50% reduction of rent for eligible commercial tenants in City owned buildings or land
CoGG has also created a Business Support Portal, and will develop additional support programs for local business, including a further medium-term package to be presented to the council by June.